Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Looking Through the Reality Lens

There isn't a lot of new information to post on this blog.  My weight loss efforts haven't reaped any great new rewards lately.  Maybe because there hasn't been quite enough effort? Most likely.  But, I refuse to give up.  I am stronger, healthier and look better than I have looked in years and there is no going backwards.  I had a little pep talk from the friend I mentioned in an earlier post (who has lost 80+ pounds and kept it off...only done it nice and slow) and she reminded me that getting to my goal quickly is really not the best course of action anyway.  Yes, we all want to get there and be done with it.  We want the prize..etc.  But slow and steady is probably more apt to have lasting results.  I know she is right. And, she is proof of it too.  Our bodies need to adapt to the changes that take place.  There are games of catching up going on with our metabolism and all those internal workings that make no real sense until proven with the sweat and effort put into it.  Amazingly though, I slide on a pair of 16's and they fit me effortlessly.  Five months ago, I could barely squeeze into a 20.  In fact, a few 14's can be zipped up at this point.  It's definite progress.  Because I have had a few bad days, or slip ups...or haven't been as vigilant with my exercise does not label me a failure by any stretch of the imagination.  It actually classes me in with the majority of the population.  Not necessarily the best excuse in the world, but it is a fact.  The thing that sets me apart from that population and the company I am keeping here in these weight loss blogs is that I will continue on.  There is no going back.  I will never weight 280 pounds again...and I will reach my goals.  But, there are no time limits....and...there are no unreasonable expectations.  I have to be good to me and my body, and respect it when it slows down and when it doesn't always give me the results I could wish for.  The main thing is...it's alive, it's getting healthier and I am worth the effort I put into this.

0 comments: