Wednesday, November 25, 2009

My Brush With Celebrity

When I first made the decision to join Nutrisystem as a way of aiding me in losing weight; it started from a series of commercials on television. For quite awhile I had nagged myself constantly about getting off my butt and doing something, and then I would turn the channel to food network, watch some stupid cooking show, get hungry and all my aspirations would be tossed out the window again.


Then, Marie Osmond lost 50 pounds and was all over the t.v., and I have always admired her for some reason and so was impressed to see her appearance transformed. But, being diabetic, and knowing a little about the program and the fact that it probably wouldn’t be a wise choice, I balked at the idea of tossing out $300 a month for their food. Then it happened. I was sitting in my house one day and on the screen comes a Nutrisystem commercial. It shows a man at the beach walking with his dog and as he comes to this incredibly high set of stairs that proceed up the side of a large hill he asks his dog, “Are you ready?” and they start to climb the stairs. As he gets to the top they sort of impose this alternative image of him as a heavy, panting, overweight man leaning against the railings, not able to take another step…and then it focuses back on the healthy version of that same man easily climbing up the stairs and reaching the top. The voice-over says something like, “This is Mike…he lost 110 pounds using the Nutrisystem-D program…now for diabetics.” BAM…it hit me…they have a diabetic program now. I have absolutely NO excuse not to at least look into this. So I went to their website and investigated the ins and outs and how it differs from the regular program.

Nutrisystem does limit some of the entrée choices available. For instance, some of the higher carb meals are not on our list and so forth. The daily diet consists of 2 extra snacks that are basically a serving of protein or a milk, and occasionally a fruit. It seems pretty sound.

So I joined. And part of my joining was trying to be as involved as I could on their website. They have a lot of helpful tools available and a personal start page that I can develop which is all about me. So now I get to the “brush with celebrity”.

I was looking at the “My Page” and noted you could write a small biography of yourself there. The other evening I sat down and let the writing bug in me take over. I wrote about how I started with a weight issue as a child and how it has progressed over the years to where I am today. I mentioned my struggle with diabetes and the worries I have concerning it. I also mentioned how I saw the commercial on tv and because of it was led to the website for diabetic members.

So, lo and behold, a couple days ago I get a message on my page from another member. A man named Mike. He said he had read my little biography, and congratulations on my choice to change my life through weight loss. Then he asks me if it was the commercial with the man walking at the beach that led me to join. I take a look over at his page and discover that HE was the man in the commercial! Just a real guy (not an actor) that shed 110 pounds and was asked to make a commercial for their product. Wow…kind of fun.

This has also happened over at the forums. There is a woman there named Pam, that has lost over 100 pounds as well, and she has been on the forums answering so many questions I have asked and contributing advice to all. She also has been used for their commercials on the website as well as TV…I just like how the program uses real people. And, I have seen so many success stories there. People losing 100 pounds or more is NOT that unbelievable. It can happen…I have seen it happen and now I just have to MAKE IT HAPPEN!

0 comments: